Taxi Fare Calculator
Let’s face it – travel of any kind is stressful, no matter how you look at it. If you’re looking for a way to make the process as hassle-free as possible, look no further than a professional taxi or cab ride.
Whether you need to get to the airport with plenty of time for your flight, you have an important meeting to get to, or you just want to get home after a long day, Maxi Cabs is here to make it happen. We are committed to offering a premium service across Melbourne that sees you arrive on time without breaking the bank.
Calculate Your Expected Taxi Fare
If you’re planning a cab ride in the near future, understanding how fares are calculated and what factors contribute to the overall cost is important for ensuring that there aren’t any nasty surprises when you reach your destination. We have compiled this comprehensive guide to help you estimate maxi cab travel across Melbourne.
In this table, we’ve outlined some of the average fares for some of the more popular trips that we’re asked to complete:
|Maxi Cab Fare
|Melbourne CBD to Melbourne Airport
|Prahran to Melbourne CBD
|Brunswick to Melbourne CBD
|Brighton to Melbourne CBD
|Yarraville to Melbourne CBD
|Burwood to Melbourne CBD
|Kew to Melbourne Airport
|Glen Waverley to Melbourne Airport
|Northcote to Melbourne Airport
|Richmond to Melbourne Airport
|Balwyn to Melbourne Airport
|Camberwell to Melbourne Airport
|Mulgrave to Melbourne Airport
|Oakleigh to Melbourne Airport
|Brighton to Melbourne Airport
|St Kilda to Melbourne Airport
|Ringwood to Melbourne Airport
How do I use the taxi fare calculator?
Using our calculator is easy! All you need to do is follow the prompts. Information you’ll be asked for includes your pick-up location, drop-off location, the time that you need to travel, and the type of cab you require. Rely on us to help you to find cheaper fares than our better-known competitors.
How much does a maxi cab cost in Melbourne?
This is a tough question for us to answer, as it will depend on a number of factors (including your pickup location, intended destination, the distance between the two, the time of day or night, any applicable tolls, and any additional charges that you may be chargeable for). The total fare that you pay will be a combination of these elements.
Who sets maxi cab fares in Melbourne?
The fare structure for all taxis in Melbourne is actually regulated collaboratively by local government authorities, taxi companies themselves, and driver associations. This collaboration is designed to ensure that fares are reasonable for both drivers and passengers, as well as remain consistent across the city.
How are maxi cab fares calculated?
Fares are actually calculated using a combination of factors that are designed to provide transparency and fairness to both drivers and passengers. Here is a breakdown of the key factors that contribute to a fare:
- Base Fare – also known as the flag fall, this is the initial charge that appears on the meter at the start of your ride. It covers the basic cost of initiating a cab journey.
- Distance Travelled – taxis and cabs generally charge a per kilometre rate, which accumulates as the distance increases.
- Time – the duration of the ride also plays a role, and includes time that the cab is stationary (due to traffic or other reasons).
- Additional Charges – there are various charges that may apply to your fare, including tolls for using certain roads and fees related to airport pickups.
|Base Fare (or Flag Fall)
|Distance (applies when speed is above 21km per hour)
|Time (applies when speed is below 21km per hour)
|Day Rate (9am to 5pm)
|$1.804 per kilometre
|$0.632 per minute
|Overnight Rate (5pm to 9am)
|$2.006 per kilometre
|$0.702 per minute
|Peak Rate (10pm to 4am Friday and Saturday*)
|$2.208 per kilometre
|$0.773 per minute
*peak rates also apply all day on Christmas Day, Boxing Day, New Years Day, and from 6pm New Years Eve
Can you explain these additional charges a little more?
Certainly! There are a handful of charges that may be applied to your fare during your journey (such as freeway or highway tolls, airport fees, and Eftpos surcharges). You should be made aware of these charges at the time of booking or when relevant.
- Freeway/Highway Tolls – if your route includes travel on certain freeways or highways in Melbourne, such as Eastlink, you may encounter tolls.
- Airport Fees – when travelling to or from the airport via cab, fees related to airport access, regulations, and services may apply.
- Eftpos Surcharges – Eftpos facilities are very convenient, but they may come with a small surcharge (especially if the total is under a certain amount).
- High Occupancy Fee – maxi cabs often attract a high occupancy fee, particularly if you have more than 4 passengers or more luggage than would fit in a standard taxi.
- Booking Fees – when you pre-book your cab, you will often be asked to pay a booking fee to reserve a driver for this specific time slot.
- Child Restraints – we can provide baby and child seats if requested at the time of booking, but this will attract an additional cost to cover maintenance and insurance.
Are discounts given on pre-booked trips?
We may offer a discount on pre-booked trips, especially if you’re also using us for your return trip. This will be communicated to you at the time of booking and is often at your driver’s discretion. If booking us for a corporate transfer, group transfer, or tour, a special rate can be offered – please contact us at 0422 673 507 for more information.
Why was I charged a different price than what’s displayed here?
It’s important to remember that a number of factors determine what your taxi fare will ultimately be, and prices are subject to change from time to time. While we do our best to provide our customers with the most accurate estimate, the truth is that there’s no way of knowing exactly how much your trip will be until it’s complete.
Why choose a maxi cab in Melbourne?
There are a number of reasons why a maxi cab is preferable to a standard taxi when it comes to travel. Some of these include:
- Ample Space – with comfortable seating arrangements for 11 and spacious interiors, there’s more than enough space for everyone plus luggage.
- Cost Effective – splitting the fare between several travellers often works out to be more cost-effective, especially when compared with taking multiple taxis.
- Great for Groups – when travelling with a group, a maxi cab ensures that you’re all able to travel together rather than book multiple vehicles.
- Luggage Capacity – travellers with oversized or multiple bags will appreciate the extra space (no more worrying about squeezing it all into a sedan).
- Stress-Free – offering a relaxed and comfortable atmosphere, you’ll be able to enjoy your journey instead of spending the whole time stressed out.
Why should we choose Maxi Cabs over your competitors?
There are a number of reasons why we should be your preferred maxi cab provider, regardless of where in Melbourne you need to travel. Some of these include:
- 24/7 Availability – whether you have an early morning flight or are coming home late from an event, we’re available around the clock to meet your needs.
- Comfort & Safety – our vehicles are always maintained to the highest possible standards, so you can expect a clean, comfortable, and safe ride.
- Knowledgeable Drivers – our drivers know the Melbourne streets well, especially in the inner city and around the airport.
- Stress-Free – there’s no need to navigate unfamiliar roads, find parking, or lug heavy baggage on your own when you travel with us.
- Timely Arrival – we’re known for our punctuality. Our drivers understand the importance of arriving on time and will seek to be early wherever possible.
How can I book a maxi cab in Melbourne?
We offer a number of ways to book, ensuring that you can lock in your travel arrangements at a time and via a method that suits you:
- Online – book via our website and wait for our confirmation email letting you know that your journey has been locked in.
- Phone – to speak to one of our helpful team members, give us a call at 0422 673 507 and rest assured that your every concern will be handled.
- Hail Down – if you happen to see us out and about, feel free to hail one of our cabs down (just look for the light on top to show we’re available).
Please note that all information provided on this page was accurate at the time of posting but is subject to change without notice. For the most accurate and up-to-date fare information, please contact us directly at 0422 673 507 or fill out our booking form.